Become an Extension Master Gardener Volunteer – Mecklenburg County
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program is an intensive course in consumer horticulture (residential lawns, landscapes, and garden cultivation & maintenance). In exchange for their training, Extension Master Gardeners contribute time as volunteers and work through the N.C. Cooperative Extension Center in Mecklenburg County to provide horticulture-related information to the public through classes, plant clinics, newsletters, demonstration gardens, public help desk, and much more.
Extension Master Gardener Volunteer training is usually conducted once every year. Our tentative class schedule for 2023 is as follows:
- Registration Fee: $180
- Location: 2415 Lester Street Charlotte, NC 28208 (location subject to change)
- Time & Dates: (typically) January -June, Tuesdays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
We are now taking applications!!!! The application will close on August 31st, 2022. You will find out the digital application at the following link:
- Organic Gardening
- Botany & Plant Physiology
- Plant Identification and Propagation
Attracting and Deterring Wildlife
- Native and Invasive Plants
- Beneficial and Pest Insects
- Managing Plant Diseases & Weeds
- and much much more!!!
To retain Extension Master Gardener certification, volunteers return 30 hours of educationally-based service to N.C. Cooperative Extension each year and 10 hours of continuing education.
All Extension Master Gardener Volunteer work in Mecklenburg County is pre-approved by the Horticulture Agent and directly benefits the mission of the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service in Mecklenburg County
EXTENSION MASTER GARDENER PROJECTS:
Extension Master Gardener Volunteers in Mecklenburg County are trained to assist N.C. Cooperative Extension in delivering research-based, educational programs within our community via the following projects:
- teaching gardening and environmental education classes at libraries, rec centers, community centers, and schools
- diagnosing insect/disease/pest problems over the phone & in person
- creating educational media for Consumer Horticulture programs (newsletter articles, PowerPoint slideshows, handouts, evaluation tools, etc.)
- educationally supporting the Mecklenburg Co. Park & Recreation Community Gardens by teaching classes, troubleshooting problems, and demonstrating gardening techniques
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer program in Mecklenburg County is an intensive, research-based volunteer training program with the intent of training volunteers to assist N.C. Cooperative Extension in delivering research-based educational programming to the residents of Mecklenburg County.
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program is not…
- a garden club or social organization
- a certification program to be utilized in a job or profit-making venture (including landscape & lawn maintenance contractors; nurseries & garden centers; or landscape consultation services)
- a generalized class to help you gain more information about gardening, lawn care, or landscape maintenance
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PROGRAM
Applicants need not be “experts” in gardening, horticulture, or even have a background in science! Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, all of which are relevant to our programming! The most important aspects sought for prospective Extension Master Gardener volunteers are:
- Availability to attend classes & meetings and assist with the Horticulture Help Desk of Mecklenburg County during weekdays
- Presenting programs/classes to the general public
- Willingness to learn how to find research-based answers to common gardening questions & to promote only research-based information in your Master Gardener volunteer projects
- Interest in educating and serving the public through N.C. Cooperative Extension
- experience creating PowerPoint presentations; educational curriculum and materials; and proficiency in using computer programs and the Internet are highly desirable!
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
If you need more information –or– are interested in receiving application materials for Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!